Executive Director’s Corner
Dear MANS Member Schools, Staff, Colleagues, and Friends:
The Council for American Private Education (CAPE) conducted a Webinar presenting new survey results on why parents choose private schools and what they’re looking for when they do. CAPE commissioned this original national research to help private school leaders better understand the K-12 educational landscape so we can all work together to continue growing and promoting private schools across the country. Some of the interesting findings include:
- 80% of parents are very satisfied with their children’s private school. Only 53% of public school parents are very satisfied.
- Millennial parents prefer Christian private schools over all other types.
- The most important factors in choosing a school are: safe environments, teachers who care, academic excellence, affordability, and college prep. Religious education was ranked as the least important.
- Cost and location are the biggest barriers to school choice.
- 75% of parents are willing to drive 30 minutes or less for school choice.
- 40% of parents would ideally send their child to a private school
- Top 4 reasons parents chooses a private school are: #1 better education, #2 discipline/structure, #3 individual attention, #4 class size.
- American school parents (regardless of school type) seek quality education, individual attention, and socialization for their children when choosing a school.
There is a lot of information to consider for schools as they seek to grow enrollment. This was a national survey so some of the findings may not add up to your local experience. As the beginning of the school year gets closer it would be interesting to see how MANS member parents respond when asked how they chose your school.
MANS Executive Director